About PR 9-1-1
Addressing/Mapping GIS
Public Education
Board of Managers
NG 9-1-1
Contact Us




  Statistics   Cell Phone Sally   Materials Request   Map Print Request

Addressing/Mapping/GIS :: Address FAQs

Why do I call the 9-1-1 District for an address?

The Potter-Randall 9-1-1 Communications District is the rural addressing authority in Potter and Randall County outside the five mile ETJ (Extraterritorial Jurisdiction) of the city of Amarillo. Any property outside the ETJ and within Potter or Randall County should call Potter-Randall 9-1-1 ECD to establish an address.

Why does the City of Amarillo address outside the city limits?

The City of Amarillo maintains addressing within a five mile radius (ETJ) outside the city limits to accommodate for future growth and expansion. 

What is the purpose of the Extraterritorial Jurisdiction (ETJ)?

As a Home Rule municipality (greater than 5,000 population and with its own City Charter), Amarillo has some authority over a larger unincorporated planning area, beyond its current City limits, which is known in Texas as the “Extraterritorial Jurisdiction,” or ETJ. In Chapter 42 of the Texas Local Government Code, the Texas Legislature declares it to be State policy that ETJs be created around cities so that municipal governments can “promote and protect the general health, safety, and welfare of persons residing in and adjacent to” the City limits. For all cities like Amarillo which exceed 100,000 population, the ETJ is defined as the area contiguous to the corporate boundaries of the municipality and within five miles of those boundaries.

Why do I need a 9-1-1 address?

9-1-1 addresses are attached to telephone records so that when 9-1-1 is dialed, a location will be displayed for emergency services. Therefore, if the caller is unable to speak or give the call-taker driving instructions, they can still be located with a map. Also, the location of the telephone determines how the call is routed. For instance, if the call originates from inside the city limits of Amarillo, the system sends the call to the Amarillo Emergency Communications Center; if the call originates outside the Amarillo city limits in Potter County, the call is sent to the Potter County Sheriff’s Office; if the call is outside the Amarillo city limits in Randall County the call is sent to the Randall County Sheriff’s Office. From there, the call can be transferred to the appropriate responding fire or EMS agencies. ?

How do I post my address?

Display your address on your house or driveway entrance so that numbers are visible from the road.  This will enable emergency service personnel to easily identify the location of your residence.  Use reflective numbers of contrasting color that are at least three inches (3”) tall.

Who do I call if I don’t live in Potter or Randall County?

If you live in the Texas Panhandle, please call the Panhandle Regional Planning Commission at:
(806) 372-3381